By Janis Warren - The Tri-City News
Published: August 09, 2012 12:00 PM
Updated: August 09, 2012 12:55 PM
Residents of a Coquitlam neighbourhood who battled to stop three highrises from being built in their area say they're not happy with the developer's last-minute plans.
Last week, city council allowed Polygon Homes to proceed with a new option presented to Windsor Gate homeowners last month that would eliminate its proposal for a 37-storey tower but boost two 24-storey buildings by one storey each.
Resident Michael Picard, who lobbied against Polygon's changes to the Windsor Gate development agreement at a May public hearing, told The Tri-City News the latest option doesn't sit well with many Windsor Gate homeowners.
"There are some people who are against anything being built that's contrary to the original plan," he said Thursday, "but there are also others who are very happy the 37-storey tower won't happen at all now."
Picard said he'll continue to push Polygon for further density reductions prior to city council making its final decision on the amended agreement this fall.
Besides the elimination of the 37-storey tower, the new option would also mean a financial loss to the city: rather than $1.5 million, Polygon would contribute half of that total — $750,000 — for the Lincoln Station along the upcoming Evergreen Line and for the second phase of the Glen Park redevelopment.
As well, Option 4 wouldn't include an additional indoor amenity space due to the decrease in units; however, Polygon plans to spend $55,000 for more security at the current Nakoma Club lounge.
Located at Lincoln Avenue and Pipeline Road, Windsor Gate used to be a mobile home park called Windsor Glen.